A few months back, as I was washing my face, I looked at myself in the mirror and was horrified at gasp finding a few fine wrinkles around my eyes! How could it be? I’m only in my mid-twenties! Aren’t wrinkles supposed to start when you turn 50? My mother always used to say “stay out of the sun, It’ll give you wrinkles“, but I had no idea it would happen so soon!
It seems people always tell you how important it is to take care of your skin, but like other things in life, we don’t start taking advice until it happens to ourselves! I’ve spent the last month researching the best products for your face. From moisturizers to sunscreens to anti-wrinkle serums to face masks, I’m on a mission to stop, or let’s face it, slow this thing called aging.
I rounded up my absolute favorite beauty products (ones that actually work, and don’t just break the bank) and I’ve also included a 10 step program every twenty-something to hundred year old should be doing on a daily basis. We got this ladies, let’s kick those wrinkles where the sun don’t shine!
1. Lather on sunscreen like a boss! I mean it. If you forget everything else I say, don’t forget this! I always used to tell myself that the SPF 15 sunscreen in my foundation was adequate protection, even when I was out in full sun, I loved the little glow I got! I am realizing now just how wrong I was! Over time, instead of that nice even bronze, my face started to get dark spots & patchy pigment. Not to mention how many hundreds of thousands of women a year get skin cancer. I know summer is just around the corner, wear sunscreen, no excuses! My go-to is LaRoche-Posay.
2. Moisturize twice a day. I know this seems excessive, but every time you wash your face and don’t moisturize, you’re basically asking your face to dry up like a wrinkly old prune! Even if you don’t think you need it, you do. The older you get, the more you need. I personally love the feel of an organic rosehip oil.
3. Use toner. It does more than get rid of excess dirt, it balances the pH level of your skin, which makes it easier to absorb nutrients. The best part it just sprays on.
4. Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate! If you aren’t exfoliating each week, you have dead skin cells building up a layer on your face, gross! Once every few months, use a really deep exfoliate, like microdermabrasion, to reveal fresh new skin cells.
5. Steam your face regularly. In a hot shower, at the gym, steaming opens your pores so toxins and impurities can be released.
6. Clean up your diet and up your vitamin intake. Vitamins C and E have incredible benefits on the inside and outside of your skin. What you eat has more control over your skin than you think. More than creams & facials, fruits & veggies work in ridding the skin of impurities the way nature intended! Ever wonder why you start breaking out when you start a new diet? That’s your body saying bye bye toxins!
8. Get outside. Oxygen is essential to keeping your skin cells young, fresh and looking beautiful.
9. Indulge in a facial once in a while. I had a hard time with this, as I hate spending money on things that seem frivolous. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized there’s no sense putting a price tag on taking care of yourself! You only get one body, treat it with love, care and respect! I’ve been using the PURE Dead Sea Mud Mask.
10. Get enough sleep. Oh! and do not sleep with your makeup on, I repeat, do NOT sleep with your makeup on! Nighttime is when your skin finally gets a chance to restore itself to its natural balance. Do not disturb this important cycle by forgetting to take your foundation off. Nothing is worse than suffocating your pours at bedtime.
No matter what age you are, you are never too young, or too late to start taking care of your skin! I can only imagine how my skin would look if I’d have been doing this routine for the last five years, and how happy it will be if I continue this routine for the next twenty!
I did my research. Below, are five key products that I use every single day and swear by!
Xx. Jadan Huter